The GP Visit card for under 6s entitles all children aged six or under and living in Ireland, to free GP care. To avail of free healthcare for under 6s, you must register for the scheme with the HSE and sign up to your chosen GP.
- Medical Card Holders – If your child or children already have a Medical Card or GP Visit Card they will automatically be registered for this new scheme.
- Non-Medical Card Holders/Private Patients – If your child or children do not have a Medical Card or GP Visit Card you must register them for this new scheme.
How to Register for Non-Medical Card Holders
- Go to gpvisitcard.ieand follow the steps on the HSE website. You will need the:
- PPS number of the child or children you wish to register, and the
- PPS number of the child’s Parent/Guardian
- Select your preferred GP at Galway East Medical Practice from the list and fill in the form
- See pages 96 – 109 for Galway GPs.
- Once registered, the HSE will send your details to your preferred GP at Galway East Medical Practice.
- Your chosen GP must then accept your child or children onto their patient panel.
- Once the GP has confirmed acceptance, the HSE will post your GP Visit Card to you within a few days.
What is Covered by the Under 6 GP Care Scheme?
The GP Visit Card for under 6s covers all GP visits, two periodic assessments at the ages of two and five, and healthcare for children living with asthma.
The GP Visit Card for Under 6s entitles your child to two periodic assessments at the ages of two and five. The periodic assessment involves the measurement of your child’s weight and height. This assessment is a very quick and simple process that will only take a few minutes to do.
Asthma assessments improve the management of childhood asthma so children living with asthma can fully enjoy physical activities and live a normal and healthy life.
The GP Visit Card for Under 6s provides asthma assessments for children diagnosed with asthma and aged between two and six years. This entitles your child to:
- an initial assessment by your GP/Practice Nurse,
- a special review three months after a new diagnosis, as well as
- an annual asthma assessment to determine the severity of your child’s asthma and how it impacts their life. We also review of their medication and ensure they are correctly using their inhalers.
We will work with you and your child to find ways to help improve your child’s asthma. We can also provide advice on smoke-free environments, the flu vaccine* and what to do if your child’s condition is getting worse. Together, we will create a plan to help you and your child better manage their particular health needs.
*We highly recommend children with asthma and over six months to take advantage of the flu vaccine in September/October every year. People with asthma have swollen and sensitive airways. If the flu virus gets into your child’s lungs, it can cause further inflammation and trigger an asthma attack or a worsening of asthmatic symptoms. It can also lead to pneumonia and other acute respiratory disease. For more information about the flu vaccine, please click here or contact your family Doctor.
Link here to flu section if possible
Although the GP Under 6 Care Scheme covers home visits, it is up to the Doctor on call to determine if a home visit is required.
What is Not Covered by the Under 6 GP Care Scheme?
The GP Visit Card for under 6s covers most of your child’s routine health needs. The scheme does not, however, cover the following non-medical services. Although we are happy to still provide the services to you, they will incur a fee.
Services not covered by the GP Visit Card for under 6s:
- Travel vaccinations
- Pediatric phlebotomy
- School attendance notes/certificates
- Passport/identity reports/letters
- Crèche reports
- Utilities reports/letters
- Insurance medicals/reports
- Sports medicals/reports
- Letters in support of applications for services under the Social Welfare Acts (Housing, clothing, and so on.)
Please feel free to contact reception if you have any queries regarding what is or what is not covered by the Under 6 GP Care Scheme. We will be happy to talk your call.
Link reception with phone number
- ie https://www2.hse.ie/my-child/
- HSE – Your guide to GP Visit Cards for under 6s
- HSE – Apply online for your Under 6s GP Visit Card
- Print and post the completed Under 6s GP Visit Card application form to:
GP Visit Card for children under 6, PO Box 12629, Dublin 11.
Content developed from HSE www.hse.ie and NHS Choices www.nhs.uk is adapted for Galway East Medical Practice by Galway East Medical Practice.